Friday, July 9, 2010

Is defining an online GRP still important?



I have reason to think a lot about measurement lately. We had an exciting hire at my company, and a lot of analytical power going into our next gen of media insights for clients. The struggle to define ROI and relate traditional measures to digital measures is a pervasive challenge in conversational media - and as I dug back into the GRP conversations and comments from a few years back, I wondered if the quest for an online GRP equivalent was still relevant.

Yes online has many more variables than TV, and yes GRP is fallible, but while online media is much more than frequency, reach and GRP's - I still think as an industry we are lacking a fundamental measurement. We have great ways to measure beyond reach and frequency, but have we perfected the foundation in order to start the conversation from the right perspective?

The challenge is it isn't as easy as dividing reach and frequency, it's defining it across millions of sites, audiences and variables. I guess this is why it has taken us so long to decide what is the right way to measure digital media.

I'll leave that up to the experts ;)

Here's Microsoft's take:


And a detailed article from Atlas here

No comments:

Post a Comment